Sunday 11 February 2018

Try A Little Kindness

Why don't people do more with their lives and time here on earth? Why is it enough to sit at home after work, or school or however you spend the bulk of your day, and do nothing. Maybe watch some TV, play on Facebook or Pinterest or online shopping. I am shocked at how many people feel it is ok to just exist and not do anything to contribute to the larger community.


We don't write letters anymore, heck we don't even talk on the phone much. We text and we think that makes us feel connected. I used to spend hours on the phone with my family out in Alberta and our long distance bills were crazy. Which caused a lot of stress in my marriage at the time.



Now most phone plans include free long distance anytime, anywhere in Canada. But we use the phone less. I try to use my driving time in the car to call family and just catch up. I love to hear their voices and talk about sometimes very minor stuff, but we also talk about big stuff and I can hear the expression in their voices. The joy, the sadness, the anger, the hope. Quite often the first couple of words and I know how they are feeling. You can't do that with a text.


Where did all that social capital go? 

I am a very busy person, most people say too busy. I sit on several boards, I took up learning the Harp after I turned 50 and recently auditioned for a local play in our little theatre. I also work full time at a very engaging position that I enjoy immensely. I always try to make community building as part of my volunteer time or down time. It is really important to me to connect with people. I need to know that I make a difference in the world. I even play with the idea of entering politics, but I know in my heart that I am not strong enough to handle the crap that people say and the abuse that is heaped on some good people who just want to make a difference. I think most people enter politics with good intentions, then get damaged by the system along the way.




We need more good in the world. We need more celebrations in our days. We need more loving kindness in our lives - everyday.  

The undercurrent in my life, the background noise is always a little bit of despair. There are so many things we hear about that make me feel so worried for the future of our world. We are pretty isolated from it in our rural Canadian communities. Sure we have access to world news instantly, and we feel angry, we feel scared, but does it really impact us in a deeper way? We sign online petitions - that often are just a way to get us on a mailing list. What happens after you sign the petition? Do you ever really see any results? Sometimes maybe. But signing a petition is not enough. Commenting on facebook posts is not enough. And wow...those trolls. Don't read the comments or you go down the rabbit hole. How can people say some of the things they do? Why would anyone wish that our Prime Minister had died in a recent motorcade accident? That is practically treason, but somehow the internet makes it ok for people to feel safe to say garbage like that. It hurts my heart to read it every time. I feel so sad that people have that much anger in them, that much hate.

I keep telling my kids, in fact anyone who will listen, to get involved in the community. GO to the food bank, and volunteer, don't just give food on occasion. You might actually meet the people who need your help and understand the need is deeper than food. Which might lead you to support them in a different more meaningful way. Go to the OSPCA and walk the dogs or pet the cats. GO to the seniors home and play a game or two. Join a board and learn about the work being done to make YOUR community a better place. You live here, you have a responsibility to make it a better place. A safer place. A more connected place. There is something for everyone to do. I believe with every fibre of my being that if people participated more in life, visited more, talked more, showed a little more kindness that the world would be a better, safer place. If we were less negative even, don't say it if it won't make the conversation better, or if it will hurt someone. Just don't say it. If you can't put good and positive stuff out there, at least don't put the negative, hurtful, hateful stuff out. It just feeds the hate.  Think before you talk or act. I need to remind myself sometimes that I don't always have to win a point. Just walk away.

This post is a bit 'ranty' ( new word?) but I was feeling a bit overwhelmed today with small minded comments, and the awareness of so much negative press. Now I will go and enjoy my safe and warm home here in snowy Ontario. I will spend time with friends making beautiful music this afternoon and enjoy quiet loving hours with my partner and my constant companion Jazzy the Doodle. I found balance in my weekend by enjoying time with my son and grandson, times I treasure.  I am so blessed with my life, I know that. Perhaps that is why I feel so compelled to invest in my community. I can't change the world, but I can be a part of my local world and space, and I can make a difference here. I hope you feel the same about your community. Try a little kindness.



No comments:

Post a Comment